Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Yearning for that Gene Kelly moment

Remember the guy I asked out last Friday? Well, it's not going to happen. Although not surprised, I was seriously bummed about that today. So, I decided I was going to treat myself to a date with myself tonight. Just so happens that the BFI (British Film Institute) is screening MGM musicals over the next couple of months- possibly my favorite films of all time. Tonight's screening was "An American in Paris". I told my boss I needed some one on one time with Gene Kelly and she let me leave an hour early....OH the thrill and excitement!!!!! I had never watched an MGM musical on the big screen...serious treat! And it begins....

I love Gene Kelly- a truly talented dancer and entertainer. He makes me feel great. As I was watching him fall in love with Leslie Caron, I thought: what a lucky girl.... Thanks to the score and lyrics of the Gershwin brothers, this is what Jerry Mulligan (Kelly) serenades Lise (Caron) with on their FIRST date: "Our love is here to stay, Together we're going a long, long way". Yes, I am a sap and I do dream that one day a man will whisper beautiful words to me. It would be a refreshing change from "yeah, I'd shag you"or that ultimate classic "you seem nice...but is your friend available?"

Who hasn't dreamed of living a Gene Kelly moment? Who hasn't dreamed of being the cause of someone else's Gene Kelly moment? You know, where a man is so excited, enthralled and deeply in love with you that the only way he can express himself is by uncontrollably breaking into song and dance. MGM had it right, they had the formula with their uplifting and thrilling musicals....the formula for pure joy. DAMN YOU MGM!!!! Thanks to you my perception of love and romance is totally unrealistic and askew. In these movies true love always happens with one look. Then the man is so taken by the woman- he chases her, harasses her because he knows he cannot live a moment longer of his life without her...They sing, they dance...that's love right?

The later years would be something to see- them in their 70's swinging with their zimmerframes, risking a hip replacement or even a change of underwear when doing a pirouette (yes, that film would be called "Skidding in the Rain"). But back to romance...

I would love for a man to react as Gene Kelly does just because of the way he feels about me. I would also love to react like Gene Kelly because of a man. It's crazy, insane and completely unrealistic....I KNOW! But still, deep inside I think we all hope to feel such emotions that a rainy street suddenly becomes a stage for expressing yourself with delight. I have never been in love- but I imagine that when I do fall in love that I will break out into song and dance...even if it is only in my head. Tonight, I walked out of the movie theatre filled with joy and hope...alone. And I felt great. Thank you MGM, thank you Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron....I look forward to more dates with Kelly, Sinatra and many more. I also look forward to falling in love one day.




No comments:

Post a Comment